We decided not to buy the Wanderlust. Alan, the owner, was not willing to get the autopilot fixed, and he would only reduce the price of the boat by $500. This does not come close to the cost of a new autopilot which range from $1500 to $5000. Don was also concerned about Alan’s boat maintenance skills. During the sea trial, when the engine overheated, Don noticed that Alan had used a garden hose in place of a proper engine hose to get water to the engine. No wonder Alan had to keep replacing impellers. So we decided to pass on the Wanderlust.
Discouraged, but ready to keep looking, we were happy to learn about a new listing for a boat in the size and price range we are looking at. Don went to look at it. He said it’s very nice, newly refurbished, and a bit bigger than the Wanderlust. Once Don and Don, the broker, were done looking at it, Don (broker) needed to check the batteries on another boat in the dry dock. Big mistake. The boat was a really nice 42′, $150,000 model. Don said he really shouldn’t have seen it since it made the boat he just saw look kind of sad by comparison. We aren’t giving up. We might have to up the budget a bit, then avoid exposure to any boats outside that budget.
We no longer have to play doggie doormen for our pooches. Don installed our new dog door yesterday. This is a big deal since the door was so hard to get. I had ordered the door shortly after we moved into this house in anticipation of our new fence. I had the door shipped to Larry and Anita who kindly agreed to bring it with them when they visited us in May. They brought the door, and once the fence was complete, Don went to install it into our back door. Turns out, the company had shipped a wall mount version of the door, not the door mount version I had ordered. Oh no. Since the walls of Mexican houses are solid brick, a wall mount door would be very hard to install. I contacted the company about the mix up. The CEO of the company, Don — really? — responded very quickly. He agreed to send a door mount door at no cost to me, just give him a day or two to figure out the best way to ship it to Mexico. The next day he told me he had sent it via USPS/FedEx Ground. This meant the Mexican postal system would be involved. Oh no. This was on July 11. I emailed Don on August 1 to ask if he had any way of tracking the package since it had been three weeks. He sent a link to the USPS tracking system which said the package had made it to Monterrey, Mexico, where the tracking stopped. He suggested I contact the postal authorities here. This suggestion was received with much eye rolling and laughter when I asked some locals about doing this. I told Don I had no hope of tracking the package from this end. The next day he sent me a link to a tracking system he had found which showed the package was either in Hermosillo or was headed there. Progress! The tracking system didn’t change until Friday when it said it was delivered! I had used our realtor’s office address since it is well known by delivery people. Don (Honeycutt) rushed over to the office to see if it was really there. It was! Don installed it the next day. It will be wonderful once the dogs start using it. They are unsure about it since the flaps aren’t transparent. We are using lots of encouragement, and treats so we are confident they will be door self sufficient very soon. Kudos to the Freedom Pet Pass pet door company. They went above and beyond to correct their mistake.